How many times recently have you heard or read the following phrases, “The video, that has since gone viral…” or “The tweet has blown up the internet…”? These phrases often accompany content that gets everyone talking, including clever campaigns, feel-good stories, unbelievable feats and, of course, more negative news and events.
In our day and age, your content competes against a magnitude of other content – and you will find yourself up against people with more money, resources, and influence. So, how do you become an overnight success with the resources at your disposal?
One of the best ways to reach your target audience, and become an overnight sensation, is a little something called viral marketing. Oberlo defines viral marketing as “any tactic that results in the rapid spread of a business’s marketing message on or offline.”
The great thing about viral marketing is that you can use your existing distribution channels to promote your service or product. Successful viral marketing campaigns use content on love, fear, unity and – especially – humour, to get noticed and shared.
Now that you know the vehicle that is going to transport you to overnight success let’s look at our three steps to becoming an overnight content marketing sensation. Read on, if you dare!
Stay connected with the world
You need to know everything about current trends in your industry by doing constant research. In other words, get on top of it and stay on top of it. When something significant happens in your industry, react, create and share great, related content quickly!
There are a number of ways to stay on top of trends in your industry. Here are some of them:
- Make sure that you study industry research and trends reports.
- Ensure that you follow publications and influencers in your industry.
- There are a myriad of tools at your disposal. Use these and various analytics systems to identify the direction trends are going.
- Ensure that you surround yourself with smart people who can give you advice – on certain aspects of things – should you need it.
- Build and keep a close group of trusted advisers and confidantes.
- Ask the right questions for your business. Most importantly, listen to your customers.
- Learn to accept change in addition to embracing it.