fbpixel

The do’s and don’ts of social media marketing in 2020

DSM Digital School of Marketing - social media marketing

Social media marketing is perfect for pushing your brand out into the public space, and social media platforms are brimming with opportunities to engage with your audience, discover their needs as consumers and fulfil them. Whether your business is merely dipping its toes into the world of social media, or you already have a significant social following, there are certain unspoken do’s and don’ts of social media marketing you should know.

Below is a list of some aspects that you can do on social media – and some things you should probably avoid:

Social Media Marketing Do’s

DO create a profile.

Before you begin searching for an audience, think about first impressions. How do your social media pages look to the public eye? Is there enough information on these pages about you and your business to make a sale? Create a solid social media presence by being thorough and laying a foundation for consistent and high-quality social media marketing.

DO think before you post.

One always needs to be mindful of how their words influence others and what kind of message their brand is sending out into the world before engaging on social media. Only post material that aligns with the mission of your business as this will attract customers interested in your product.

DO engage with your audience.

When it comes to all social media marketing, showing humanity in your posts is a simple strategy that goes a long way. Responding to messages on time, helping with customer FAQs and being polite can really help build personal connections with your audience. Successful businesses spend 80% of their time engaging with customers and the other 20% selling the product.

DO stay active on social media.

It isn’t easy to know how often to post on social media, you do not want people to feel spammed, but you do not want them to forget about you either. Post a handful of times (3-5) a week to update your followers about your business and respond to queries or reviews.

Social Media Marketing DON’TS

DON’T spam your audience with advertisements/promotions.

Promotions are fantastic for attracting new customers and essentially fuel the social media marketing industry. However, too much of a good thing is almost always bad. When you post an advertisement, make sure it reaches your non-followers and is good enough to encourage loyal followers to engage as well!

DON’T be negative.

Arguing with customers or complaining about competitors will reflect negatively on your brand’s image over time. While it is good to engage on social media, it can be not easy to send positive messages to your audience primarily. Just remember that the vibes you send out there will be the same as that which you receive.

DON’T get lost.

It is extremely easy to come to be lost in the vast realm of social media marketing, but fear not, you have nothing to be scared of. Keeping in the loop and posting regularly are great ways to stay on the correct path to social media mastery. After all, is said and done, it’s vital to remember always to be yourself and have fun. Social Media platforms are always changing and improving, so use these rules to guide you whenever you feel lost.

Now that you realise the ins and outs of social media marketing, it’s time to let your brand’s voice be heard!

Get in touch with the Digital School of Marketing

Why not start with a qualification in social media marketing from DSM, or see what other digital marketing courses we have to offer.

DSM Digital School of Marketing Social media marketing course registration

MAKE AN ENQUIRY








    OUR CORPORATE CLIENTS