If you fail to plan, you plan to fail – that’s the way the saying goes. And it’s no different when you are planning your social media marketing strategy. Read on to find out more!
How would you define a social media marketing strategy?
A social media marketing strategy is basically a summary of what you plan to do, what you want to achieve and which your social media channels you are going to use. It is a physical or digital document that guides your actions, and that acts as a measuring tool to see how far you’ve come.
As with any plan, an effective social media marketing strategy will mean an effective execution. Your plan shouldn’t even be that long – it just complicates things.
How to plan your strategy for social media marketing
Set your social media marketing goals
When you have a goal that you want to achieve, you are more likely to hit it – even if it’s not a bullseye. Set goals which are S.M.A.R.T. so you can measure your success and return on investment (ROI).
Goals which are SMART goals are defined as:
- Specific: Well defined, strong, and explicit
- Measurable: With specific criteria that quantity your progress towards the achievement of the ultimate goal
- Achievable: Realisable and not impractical to accomplish
- Realistic: Within reach, sensible, and pertinent to your intention
- Timely: With a distinctly demarcated timeline, including a starting date and a target date. The purpose is to generate urgency.