As the end of 2019 quickly approaches digital marketing trends to continue to evolve and take on a whole new spin. So, what are the digital marketing trends likely to be for 2020? We saw 2019 give us some sneak peeks into what we can expect next year and its exciting stuff.
As a digital marketing professional, it is necessary for you to possess a diverse set of digital marketing skills. This includes an advanced grasp of up-to-date online media channels in addition to the ability to predict future trends as well as understanding certain fundamentals of an analytical marketer. It’s also necessary to have the balance of a creative and critical mindset in order to achieve success in digital marketing.
Successful digital marketers are savvy enough to know that they need to keep their skills fresh as well as relevant. In an industry that is often subject to change, it’s vital for you to keep your digital marketing skills up to date so you are still attractive to employers and potential clients.
The beauty of digital marketing is the transferable nature of your skillset. What we mean by this is that you can apply it to an industry of your choice because most businesses need an integrated approach to marketing.
From artificial intelligence (AI) to voice automation to virtual reality, 2020 is likely to bring about some radical trends and turn the digital marketing industry into an even more complex hive of activity.
What is digital marketing?
In a nutshell, digital marketing includes any type of marketing activity that uses some form of digital technology. We are all familiar with social media and we’ve all used the internet, but it’s important to understand that digital marketing is so much more than posting on a social media platform or boosting traffic to your website. With this in mind, it’s crucial to understand the definition of digital marketing and more importantly, how to get the most out of the trends that are set to make their mark in 2020.
Types of current popular digital marketing
As the number of people that go online worldwide continues to grow, it makes sense that so too will many ways of using digital marketing.
Here are a few of the most popular types of digital marketing options:
- Social media – Social media platforms enjoy one of the most popular types of online interaction. Sharing, liking and commenting on content posted on the social media platforms is a great way to market your brand.
- PPC – Pay-per-click digital marketing is a type of online marketing whereby advertisers pay a small fee each time a user clicks on their ad.
- SEO – Search engine optimisation focusses on growing your visibility through organic search engine results.
- Email campaigns – There are billions of active email accounts and this is expected to increase, so embarking on an email marketing campaign is a great way to boost your overall digital marketing efforts as almost everyone actively uses email.
Content marketing – Great content is a sure-fire way of ensuring successful digital marketing. One of the fastest growing trends in digital marketing is video content as it’s fast, to the point and entertaining. However, the use of high-quality images and concise informative text-driven content is still a popular form of digital marketing.
Future prominent digital marketing trends
Each year brings many new possibilities in the exciting world of digital marketing. In fact, there’s hardly never a time when there is no ‘best new thing’ happening in this domain.
So, what can we expect in 2020?
Let’s take a closer look at some of the most exciting upcoming digital marketing trends.
- Voice search – The rise of voice search seems unstoppable and has extensively impacted the digital marketing arena. Voice search affected the way digital marketers optimise their sites in order to accommodate the ever-popular voice search. In fact, it’s estimated that voice search will increase by as much as 50% during 2020.
- Artificial intelligence – How will artificial intelligence affect you and your business in 2020? Even if you’re not sure, the reality is – AI will have a huge impact on digital marketing in 2020 and it’s set to only increase. AI chatbots are favoured to make a real impact as well.
- Smart speakers – Over the past few years, there’s been a proliferation of so-called ‘smart speakers’ used in digital marketing, which is quickly becoming a channel of choice for marketers.
- The chatbot – You’ve no doubt come across a chatbot recently, even a very basic one. If you haven’t, that’s unusual because they are everywhere. In fact, chatbots are finding multiple applications in all areas of digital marketing, which is set to increase dramatically.
- Interactive marketing – Continual engagement has never been more important. And the more the better. Interactive content such as polls or online quizzes are a popular form of communication and will become even more so in 2020.
- Augmented reality – Otherwise known as AR. Augmented reality has already enjoyed serious popularity and is on trend to make it big in 2020. This form of digital marketing helps businesses allow their potential customers to see how their brand will fit into their lives. A magnificent and very effective concept.
Digital marketing courses are readily available so that qualified individuals can be produced to meet the demand for digital marketing professionals. Visit the Digital School of Marketing’s (DSM) website to find out which career in digital marketing is for you!
You might also like
- Your Complete Guide to PPC Marketing Basics. Find out more.
- Would you make a great marketing manager?
- Will digital marketing now replace traditional marketing?
- Will Digital Marketing Kill Traditional Marketing?
- Why Your Online Branding Is Key To Your Business
- Why Your Mobile Marketing Has To Go Global? Learn more.